Task Group I: Standardization
This working group seeks to foster the practical cooperation on information and documentation issues among the network members by means of standardization. Standardization can here apply to the fields of both document analysis (e.g. standardization of indexing and retrieval terminology) as well as formal document description (e.g. standardization of cataloguing rules and principles). The task group serves also as a forum for dissemination of relevant knowledge and professional exchange about developments in the field.
The current standardization efforts with regard to the standardization of terminology in the field of International Relations and area studies include:
- Monitoring of the further development of the “European Thesaurus on International Relations and Area Studies,” a collaborative work by EINIRAS member institutes published in September 2007 that integrates the controlled vocabularies of several EINIRAS member institutions.
- Driving of efforts in the context of Semantic Web/Linked Open Data (e.g. conversion of European Thesaurus data into SKOS/RDF format; mapping the European Thesaurus with related thesauri, especially with EuroVoc, the thesaurus of the European Union).
- Methodological aspects of terminological standardization.
The current standardization efforts with regard to aspects of formal document description include:
- Monitoring developments with regard to the emerging new international standard for cataloguing rules - Resource Description and Access (RDA) and evaluating its usefulness in the EINIRAS context and for individual institutes.
Task Group Members
- Mr Axel Huckstorf, Chairman, Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik, Berlin
- Ms Nenne Bodell, Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, Solna
- Ms Maritza Cricorian, Institute of International Affairs, Rome
- Ms Petra Galle, Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik, Berlin
- Ms Andrzej Kamiński, Polish Institute of International Affairs, Warsaw
- Ms Helena Kolátorová, Institute of International Affairs, Prague
- Mr Juan Antonio Sánchez, Elcano Royal Institute, Madrid
Members interested in joining this group please contact Axel Huckstorf: axel.huckstorf(at)swp-berlin.org.